Monday, November 23, 2009

Yum!


So we haven't bought bread in over a month. No not because we are on a no carb diet. I have been making our bread. I love doing it so easy and good. I also started grinding my own wheat flour. It is so much more healthy and it ends up being only about .50 a loaf instead of 2 to three dollars. So I thought I would show you what it looks like. I have finally found the perfect recipe it is soft and perfect for sandwiches and toast. Here it is...

3cups very warm water(but not hot)
1tablespoon Quick rise yeast
1/3 cup canola oil(you can use any kind I wouldn't use Olive because the flavor is to strong)
1/3 cup Honey(you can sub brown sugar not as healthy but cheaper)
1tablespoon salt
6 cups whole wheat flour(hard white wheat is best)
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup gluten W/vitamin C( I use BOB's Red Mill I get it a Save Mart 6or 7 dollars but that has 20 1/4 cup serving so you get a lot for the price.)

1.Combine first 5 ingredients and mix. Add 5 cups flour,oats,and gluten flour. Mix well. Continue to add the other cup of flour slowly until dough forms a ball and scrapes the excess dough off the sides of the bowl. Let mix for 5-10 min. You can use a kitchen aid mixer or you can use a bread machine and put it on the dough setting and let it run. Then take it out and do step two and three.

2. Oil counter surface& your hands(do not use flour use oil).Put your dough on the oiled surface and slice with a knife into two large or three small loafs. Pat down and roll into loaf shape,then put into greased bread pan.

3.Let raise until double in size in warm place (45-60 min.)
preheat oven to 350 degrees.Bake 25-30 min. Remove from pans immediately and place on a wire rack.

It seem like a lot of work but once you do it a few times it seems like nothing. You will love it and it will be worth the effort. You can also make it in to rolls instead of bread and that would be yummy too. It seems to freeze good too. I put it in a ziplock freezer bag and wrap it with paper towel so when it defrosts it is still good.

2 comments:

JJ said...

This is great! I have been looking for a recipe that I can use for sandwich bread! I have been using a recipe and making it work, but it just isn't soft enough! I don't really buy bread either. I have been making bread for months and it has been great! I use the bread machine as much as possible, because I am always so busy. Thanks for posting this! I like to add flax to all my bread recipes.

Ritters said...

I am sure the flax seed will just add to it. Just watch out and not eat to much if you are not use to so much fiber.